Updated on: May 7, 2013
Sikkim University, a Central University was established under an Act of Parliament and came into existence on 2 July 2007. Since there was no Government University in Sikkim, the establishment of a Central University fulfills the dreams of many young learners who do not have to travel far for higher education. In its endeavour to become one of the best universities, it is trying to institute the best practices of academic programs and curriculum designs.
The University is being designed in such a way so as to make it known for academic excellence and research, for its all inclusive institutional character and a strong instrument of regional development and cross-border integration.
The University expects to attract students and faculty members from both within India and the immediate neighbouring countries including Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Myanmar, Nepal and Thailand. This will also supplement the schools and colleges in the region which continue to attract a large number of students from these countries.
The University is trying to bring in the best practices of academic programs, teaching methods and curriculum designs both from within and outside India. The University is also planning to build infrastructure that is friendly to the fabulous and unparalleled environmental settings of Sikkim and the neighbouring regions.
From the very beginning the Sikkim University is trying to ensure that there is complete transparency, discreet individual accountability, targeted performance and no red-tapism in this institution.
All its stakeholders would like to make the Sikkim University a corruption free institution and a green institution in terms of its environmental richness and physical architecture.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in each branch of learning as it may deem fit.
- To make provisions for integrated courses in humanities, natural and physical sciences, social sciences, forestry and other allied disciplines in the educational programmes of the University.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process, inter-disciplinary studies and research.
- To educate and train manpower for the development of the state of Sikkim and the Eastern Himalayan regions.
- To pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people of the region, their intellectual, academic and cultural development.
Sikkim University Programmes:Sikkim University offers conventional, non-conventional and Policy Studies Programmes. Click here for the program details.
Sikkim University Admission Dates:Admission to various programs will take place in the month of April-May and classes will begin in July. Click here for the details.
For further information related to Sikkim University click on the links provided below: